State Voices Florida (SVFL) is a state-based collaboration of nonpartisan civic engagement organizations in Florida. SVFL’s nonpartisan mission is to engage historically underrepresented communities in the democratic process. State Voices Florida provides our network with alignment and coordination, data and research capacity, as well as different levels of support to increase the ability of the nonprofit progressive community to create change. This drives our mission to build the sustainable coalition that is going to be needed to tackle the systemic challenges that inhibit historically disenfranchised communities. State Voices Florida is the Florida affiliate of State Voices. State Voices Florida is a fiscally sponsored project of the Tides Center.
State Voice Florida seeks a well-organized self-starter for a full-time, grant-funded position as Communications Manager. We seek an individual who can create and coordinate a statewide messaging plan amongst our statewide ©(3) partners, manage multiple responsibilities, maintain good relationships with partner organizations, and work well as a team player in a fast paced organization. The Communications Manager will work under the direction of State Voices Florida’s Executive Director. This is a regular, full-time position that is exempt from overtime.
Strategy & Management
- Design and implement comprehensive external and internal communication strategies that elevate SVFL to varied audiences using tactics and channels including: web, social media, earned media, events, search engine optimization, collateral, etc.
- Set quantitative and qualitative metrics and results to evaluate the effectiveness of communications strategies and ensure quality standards. Proactively seek, compile, and report on feedback from recipients, both internal and external. Be able to present results against deliverables.
- Working cross-departmentally, create strategy and lead response for crisis communications and issues management.
- Serve as internal expert of communications content for SVFL, including keeping up-to-date on nationwide messaging and staying informed of all relevant issues as they pertain to civic engagement and participation.
- Oversee management of vendors and independent contractors, including photographers, videographers, online marketing consultants and web developers.
- Ensure all communications are in alignment with SVFL’s values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Other communications responsibilities, as assigned.
- Create media relations strategies to maximize SVFL’s impact in the communities we serve, including pitching, press conferences, media events, and more.
- Lead strategy and execute approval for all earned media, including articles for publication, press releases, media advisories, letters-to-the-editor, and opinion editorials.
- Act as a spokesperson to the media on behalf of SVFL when necessary.
- Develop communications strategies and lead implementation for selected events and promotions.
- Assesses events, actions, decisions and other press stories for possible impact on SVFL.
- Oversee the development of a web page for SVFL.
- Content development for newsletters, emails, social media, and other project communication.
- Lead strategy and execute approval for digital content and publications, including campaign webpages, supporter communications, blog posts, etc.
- Lead strategy and oversee production of videos and photography, including developing scripts/interview questions and planning shoots, if necessary.
- Ensure communications and advocacy campaigns are integrated across media, email, social media and SVFL’s web properties.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess:
- HS diploma or GED
- At least three years of successful experience in social and earned media with a demonstrated proficiency on multiple social media platforms
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity and social justice
- Desktop publishing experience
- Experience in web design preferred
- Strong interpersonal communication skills in person, on the phone, and in writing. Abilities:
- Excellent with relationship-building
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Ability to train others in project communications skills and social media platforms
- Task-oriented with solid time management skills and a track record of responsiveness and follow-through
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with allied organizations
- Ability to lead project partners in communications plan development and implementation
- Willingness and ability to work odd hours including nights and weekends.
- Knowledge of state-level policy is a plus.
- Send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: [email protected].
- To ensure your submission is properly routed, use the subject line “SVFL Communications Manager Position.”
- Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled; however, preference will be given to resumes received by August 15, 2021
- Please include where you heard of this position or saw this job posting in your cover letter.
- No calls please.
Compensation: Compensation for this position is $48,000-$60,000 based on experience.
Location: Remote but based in Florida
Reports To: State Voices Florida Executive Director
Tides Center is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.