State Voices is a national network – built from the states up – that helps grassroots organizations win civic engagement victories and build long-term political power. Since 2008, we’ve been employing the principles of collective impact, building the capacity of partners with data analysis and shared resources, and strengthening our democracy by amplifying the voices of marginalized communities.
State Voices sustains a dynamic ecosystem of 23 affiliated state tables comprised of over 900 partner organizations. We provide the organizations in our network with the data, tools, and support they need to help create a healthy and thriving democracy through a racial equity lens. We advance this work through Civic Engagement (voter registration and turnout, issue advocacy and constituency engagement), Civic Access (voting rights and election administration) and Civic Representation (census and redistricting).
It’s our collective duty to end the systemic, relentless disenfranchisement targeting Black, Indigenous, and Communities of Color, young adults, and LGBTQ communities. That’s why State Voices works year-round to create a more accessible, inclusive, and representative democracy.
State Voices seeks a Voter Registration Manager to provide general capacity and oversight of our 2021 multi-state voter registration program in communities of color. This candidate will support state-based staff to reach program goals in a number of affiliate states. The Voter Registration Manager will focus specifically on digital and grassroots programs and adding capacity for in-state partners. This position will report to the Deputy Director of Voter Registration and will help the department meet strategic goals in service to the states.
- Training: Responsible for designing and leading a robust training program for coalition partners and staff in key affiliated states, that aims to develop staff proficiency in site-based organizing, quality control processes, program implementation, voter registration best practices and book closing processes.
- Capacity building: Support state table voter registration managers through regular check-ins with program managers and state-based directors, and support the hiring and onboarding of staff in target states while creating opportunities for cross-state collaboration throughout the program.
- Program management: Support the overall success of the program by adding capacity to track and monitor progress to goals, maintain accountability and uphold programmatic standards, while working with coalition partners to solve problems, share information, and create capacity in the states.
- Create and distribute voter registration program best practices: Adapt voter registration organizing, management, and quality control training materials and tools for use by the broader State Voices network.
- Strategic partnerships: Work with the Deputy Director of Voter Registration to connect with national and state-based partners on a variety of civic engagement projects.
The ideal candidate will possess many, if not all, of the following qualifications:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a similar role.
- A minimum of 2-3 cycles of campaign work in electoral, labor or community-based organizations, with voter registration experience, strongly preferred.
- Experience organizing in diverse settings, with coalitions, and in communities of color.
- A demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion, and justice at the intersections of race, gender, sexual orientation, class, national origin, and age.
- Experience completing projects in a coalition or multi-organizational alliance.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills in person, on the phone, and in writing.
- A collaborative and facilitative approach to leadership, including the ability to effectively facilitate and manage participatory decision-making processes.
- Strong strategic thinking and planning abilities.
- The ability to demonstrate understanding of the issues and challenges presented by a large-scale voter registration program.
- Problem-solving skills and ability to work and stay poised under pressure.
- Spanish proficiency is a plus.
- Travel is limited due to the continuing impact of the COVID-19 virus, however, candidates should be willing and able to conduct site visits between 5-10 days a month, if/when conditions normalize and travel be deemed safe.
- Send your resume and cover letter to: [email protected].
- To ensure your submission is properly routed, use the subject line “State Voices Voter Registration Manager.”
- Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled; however, preference will be given to resumes received by July 19, 2021.
- No calls please.
- Women, people of color, and LGBTQIA individuals are encouraged to apply
Term of Employment: This is a grant-funded position and is subject to continued grant funding availability.
Compensation: Compensation is $60,000-$75,000 based on experience.
Location of Position: State Voices is headquartered in Washington, DC, remote candidates will be considered.
State Voices is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.