State Voices is a national network – built from the states up – that helps grassroots organizations win shared policy and civic engagement victories and build long-term power. We currently support the work of 501(c)(3) organizations or “state tables” in twenty-three states that connect hundreds of state, local and national affiliate organizations. State Voices has provided our affiliates with a variety of resources and tools to create support and enhance the impact of 501 (c)(3) civic engagement organizations across the country.
Data is one of the most important and powerful ways we support grassroots organizing and social change in the states. The Data Associate is a key position that bridges data and tools with different grassroots groups. The person in this position will provide data and technology support in one of these states: Colorado, New Mexico, Minnesota, Louisiana or North Carolina. This role delivers service to a wide range of table partners with a voter engagement tool called the VAN (Voter Activation Network); including data administration, basic training on field tools, and technical assistance in order to successfully implement their voter engagement work. This position will work at the direction of any of the following – State Director/Deputy Director/Data Manager/Data Director in their hire state.
- Manage user and security settings for table partners and their consultants.
- Monitor the use of the system to ensure compliance with state and national policies. Provide training on better data hygiene and data collection practices
Partner Support & Technical Assistance
- Support a broad range of partner organizations with their use of field organizing tools in VAN. Examples may include, creating basic lists, creating survey questions and activist codes, creating scripts, setting up phone banks, cutting turf, bulk uploading data, etc. Note: State Voices offers basic and advanced VAN Training to all data staff.
- Work with partners to assess their data needs and the integration of data best practices into their programs.
- Provide basic training on VAN and other voter outreach tools
Coordinating with National and State-based data staff
- Function as part of a national data peer network, which includes regular calls and trainings with State Voices national data team to help maintain a shared data infrastructure across the states
- Participate in national working groups to develop nation-wide standards and best practices.
- Other duties as assigned by the State Table.
The ideal candidate will possess the following minimum qualifications:
- At least one previous cycle volunteering or working in a political, nonprofit, labor, or community organization
- Base knowledge of how to read and understand voter, demographic, and other data sets
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to communicate technical subjects to non-technical audiences
- Experience working in coalition with partners, or experience working in diverse communities, particularly in communities of color
- Candidates must have a willingness and aptitude to seek out and learn new technical skills that will further the mission of the table and assist in presenting data to partners in an accessible manner
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity and record of success working with communities of color, women, low-income people, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically marginalized communities
- Experience with the VAN (Voter Activation Network)/VoteBuilder or other civic engagement platforms is a plus
- Experience with Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets is a plus
- Background in 501c3 work or the desire to work with progressive organizations.
- Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: [email protected].
- To ensure your submission is properly routed, your subject line should be: “State Table Data Associate”
- Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
- No calls please.
Term of Employment: Full-time through December 18, 2020
Compensation: Compensation is $45,000 – $50,000 annually
Locations: Remote, in-state Colorado, New Mexico, Minnesota, Louisiana, or North Carolina