State Voices is a national network – built from the states up – that helps grassroots organizations win civic engagement victories and build long-term political power. Since 2008, we’ve been employing the principles of collective impact, building the capacity of partners with data analysis and shared resources, and strengthening our democracy by amplifying the voices of marginalized communities.
State Voices sustains a dynamic ecosystem of 23 state tables comprised of over 900 partner organizations. We provide the organizations in our network with the data, tools, and support they need to help create a healthy and thriving democracy through a racial equity lens. We advance this work through three national programs: Civic Engagement (voter registration and turnout, issue advocacy and constituency engagement), Civic Access (voting rights and election administration) and Civic Representation (census and redistricting).
It’s our collective duty to end the systemic, relentless disenfranchisement targeting communities of color, young adults, LGBTQ people, and single women. That’s why State Voices works year-round to create a more accessible, inclusive, and representative democracy.
State Voices seeks a highly motivated and detail-oriented Senior Manager of Grants or Manager of Grants to collaborate across the Development Department team and lead on all aspects of grant writing, reporting, administration, and compliance, and assist with budget preparation. Foundation and institutional funders comprise the core revenue stream for State Voices; therefore, we seek applicants with a strong grant writing track record, the skills to effectively project-manage the grants process as it stands, and the ability to make strategic recommendations for future refinements. This role will supervise the current Senior Development Associate and report to the Director of Development. The Senior Manager of Grants or Manager of Grants title will align with experience.
In 2021, the State Voices budget is expected to be $20 million, approximately $17 million of which is from a portfolio of primarily institutional funders, major individual and family donors, and a small and growing pool of annual fund donors. After a busy civic engagement cycle in 2020 and record fundraising successes, State Voices seeks a skilled and organized fundraising professional with a deep commitment to social justice to join and contribute to a highly effective and rapidly expanding team.
The Senior Manager of Grants or Manager of Grants will: oversee the entirety of the grants process (budget creation, monitoring and reporting, closing, and final reporting); review grant agreements and donor agreements with a high level of detail; prepare financial reports for donors by adhering to reporting schedules and requirements, and maintain all grant documentation in the EveryAction CRM and internal filing system. As a collaborative leader on the Development department, they will contribute positively towards the team’s efficacy, operations, and culture
The primary responsibilities of this will include the following. We encourage applicants at both the Manager and Senior Manager levels to apply, and final considerations for the role’s functions will be made based on the candidate’s skill set and talents.
- Oversee all aspects of grant process and deliverables, including the creation of supporting documents and materials, grant writing, editing, deadlines tracking, files tracking for Development and Finance Departments.
- Manage Senior Development Associate, including weekly check-in, workflow and goals, annual review, and timely and constructive feedback.
- Manage all facets of State Voices grants administration in strong partnership with the Senior Development Associate and collaboration with the Finance team to ensure fully compliant and timely grants administration processes, tracking, reporting, and coding.
- Weekly check-ins with the Director of Development to review workplans and develop solutions to ensure programmatic success.
- Biweekly grants team check-ins to review upcoming deadlines, goals, and deliverables;
- Fully utilize EveryAction CRM in accordance with Development Department procedures to ensure timely and accurate grant tracking.
- Advise on the development of department budgets and proposals, secure project-specific grants and funding, and track those efforts.
- Thoughtfully advise and provide feedback to the Director of Development on external funder communications content and timing, departmental goals, and activities;
- Offer mentorship and learning opportunities to Senior Development Associate and additional junior department members.
- Participate in State Voices national staff activities, including staff and network retreats, convenings, check-in calls, and other all-staff activities as requested.
- Other related duties as they arise or are assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess many or all of the following qualifications:
- 4-5 years’ experience in nonprofit grant administration, with a confirmed track record of successful grant writing and increased programmatic responsibilities.
- Minimum of 2 years of managerial experience.
- Strong analytical, writing, research, editing, and communication skills.
- Strong proficiency in grant contracts, compliance, and reporting requirements.
- Ability to professionally communicate deadlines, needs, and action items within the Development Team and across departments.
- Ability to provide strategic recommendations as related to current and future processes within a complex organization.
- Capably manages own priorities and workflow within a rapidly expanding team. Comfortable with ambiguity and working under a variety of circumstances.
- Experience and ease with donor CRM databases, nonprofit 501c3 compliance, donor privacy policies, and maintaining development related files.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies. Committed to racial equity, and uses a personal approach that values individuals and their differences.
- Builds relationships marked by respect, trust, and integrity; treating everyone as would like to be treated, and unthreatened by others’ strengths; accountability in all interpersonal and professional interactions.
- A genuine appreciation for and commitment to the mission of State Voices.
- Experience in or familiarity with the cyclical nature of the civic engagement space.
- Strong operational and organizational skills with a hands-on work style and an eagerness to roll up their sleeves.
- With their direct reports, a demonstrated commitment to mentorship and fostering professional growth. On a team, an ability and willingness to contribute as a team player.
- Creativity, resourcefulness, appropriate aggressiveness, and possessing an entrepreneurial and intellectual curiosity.
- Send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: [email protected].
- To ensure your submission is properly routed, use the subject line “Senior Manager of Grants”
- This ad will remain online and resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Strong preference will be given to resumes received by Friday, May 7, 2021.
- No calls please.
Compensation: The salary range for the Senior Manager of Grants position is $77,000-$85,000, commensurate with experience, and includes a generous benefits package.
Term of Employment: This is a full-time, exempt position.
Location: Washington, D.C.; Remote candidates will be considered.
Reports To: Director of Development