Established in 2010, Pennsylvania Voice is the 501c(3) table of over 44 state and local based
organizations working year-round to create a more accessible, inclusive, and representative
democracy by amplifying the voices, leadership, and expertise of communities that have
historically experienced deliberate barriers to civic participation. Our partnership is grounded in
the belief that a fair and just society will be achieved through collective power; democracy
requires full participation and equitable representation; and the pathway to power in the
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania values Black, Indigenous, Latinx, and AAPI communities.
Together, we win shared policy and civic engagement victories to build long-term power
A team of experienced organizers/strategists staff Pennsylvania Voice. We coordinate, support,
convene, and co-create with a diverse community of state and municipal leaders representing
distinct organizations around three program areas:
- Civic Engagement: Creating year-round integrated voter engagement campaigns to
increase voting, voter registration, and participation in civic life among all
Pennsylvanians and specifically Black, Indigenous, and communities of color
- Voting Rights and Access: Modernizing elections to make voting more convenient and
fully accessible to all
- Reflective Democracy: Investment in community leadership and governance that is
accountable to community interest and needs
An explicit commitment to racial equity frames our partnership, our programs, and our culture
The Reflective Democracy Associate will work within the Reflective Democracy Department to
ensure a robust and comprehensive campaign to ensure racial equity in the redistricting process
in Pennsylvania. This position will report directly to the Reflective Democracy Director and will
work closely with the Program team at Pennsylvania Voice.
Technical experience is a critical part of the Reflective Democracy Associate role, but strong
communication and relationship-building skills, being an advocate for racial equity and
community self-determination and a sense of purpose in the work are important as well.
Pennsylvania Voice is the right place for you if you believe in the vision of our partnership and
are looking to be an integral member of our growing team who is deeply encouraged to bring
the expertise from your lived experience into leadership.
The Reflective Democracy Associate will be responsible for:
Coalition Building and Training:
- Working with the Redistricting Work Group partners to ensure timely development of
community maps through conducting regular training sessions for partners and their
members across Pennsylvania
- Supporting the Reflective Democracy Director to recruit and onboard new partners to the
Redistricting Work Group
- Ensuring regular communication with Keystone Counts partners that leads to a robust
implementation strategy targeting racial equity in redistricting
- Supporting community partners in presenting Unity Maps to the Legislative Reapportionment Commission (LRC) by training partners on grasstops advocacy techniques related to public testimony
- Work with both grasstops and grassroots leaders to ensure a robust community engagement process by the LRC both pre-and-post release of the Census data
- Managing the implementation of a national communications strategy designed to raise the profile of racial equity in the redistricting process through the usage of paid, earned, and social media
Mapping and Technology:
- Develop and implement a strategy to create “Unity Maps” from partner organizations’
community mapping process
- Translating DistrictR maps to Maptitude program software
- Being available to troubleshoot mapping questions from partners as needed
- Work with complex data systems like the American Community Survey Data and 2020
Census Data to generate comprehensive maps of targeted legislative districts in
- Working with the Pennsylvania Voice Data and Analytics team to produce reports for
racial growth analyses and supporting BIPOC communities across the Commonwealth
The ideal candidate will have experience in campaigns, coalition building, and community engagement. Additionally, knowledge of diverse communities across the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is strongly encouraged. Finally, the new Reflective Democracy Associate will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Experience with mapping software, including, but not limited to, ArcGIS, Maptitude, and DistrictR is preferred, but not required.
- To access the application for the Reflective Democracy Associate Position visit the following link to provide your resume.
- The hiring manager for this position is Michael Galvan, Reflective Democracy Director.
- If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the application and interview process, please reach out to us at
- Please no phone calls.
Compensation: The salary range is $45,000 – $50,000, based on experience and competencies, with excellent benefits.
Term of Employment: Full-Time
Location: Currently, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our staff is working remotely. The person hired for this position will work remotely for the rest of 2021. However, some travel, if/when it is safe to do, may be required within Pennsylvania, primarily in and around Philadelphia, the Lehigh Valley, and Central PA. The safety of our staff and partners is a priority to us and so if/when travel is an option, we will do so in accordance with recommendations put forth by Pennsylvania’s local/state governments. The candidate must be based in Pennsylvania or willing to relocate if offered the position.
Pennsylvania Voice is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Pennsylvania Voice encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, people with records of arrest or conviction, veterans, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals to apply. Pennsylvania Voice hiring process will comply with Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Standards (“Ban the Box”) ordinance.