Montana Voices is a fiscally-sponsored civic engagement project committed to ensuring that every Montanan is able to participate fully in our democracy. Our mission is to build a civically powerful statewide network of nonpartisan organizations that collaborate on civic access and voting rights, voter modernization, civic engagement and leadership development. Our mission is centered on engaging and empowering underrepresented communities, building sustainable power needed to eliminate barriers to civic participation, and guaranteeing that policy-making is guided by the public.
The Data Associate will primarily support table partners with VAN (Voter Activation Network) administration, basic training, and technical assistance in order to implement their voter engagement work, including advising on the use of voter contact tools. This position will work at the direction of the state Data Manager.
VAN Administration (25%)
- Administer the VAN for Montana Voices coalition. Examples may include creating basic lists, create survey questions and activist codes, creating scripts, setting up phone banks, cutting turf, bulk uploading data, etc. Note: Basic and advanced VAN training is available for data associates.
- Manage user and security settings for table partners and their consultants.
- Monitor use of the system to ensure compliance with state and national policies. Provide training on better data hygiene and data collection practices
Partner Support & Technical Assistance (40%)
- Provide training, both in-person and remote, and support for partner organizations on using the VAN for their field organizing efforts. This could include providing guidance on how to use models, 1:1 technical support, and training for larger groups.
- Support partner organizations on the use of voter contact tools including ThruText, ThruTalk, and Reach, including providing trainings on how to administer voter contact tools. Examples may include training setting up phone banks in ThruTalk, how to set up a Reach campaign, or how to transfer data from VAN to another tool. Note: Training on these tools is available for data associates.
- Work with partners to assess their data needs, and on the integration of data best practices into their programs, including training on better data hygiene and data collection practices.
- Provide basic VAN training both in-person and remote.
Data Analysis & Support (25%)
- Clean and prepare membership lists, voter registration data, and other organizing data sets.
- Assist the Data Manager in providing relevant data and analysis on the electorate to partner organizations. Scope of work will depend on skills and interests of the candidate.
Coordinating with National Data Staff (10%)
- Function as part of a national data peer network, which includes regular calls and trainings with State Voices national data team to help maintain a shared data infrastructure across the states
- Must complete series of required trainings by State Voices.
- Participate in national working groups to develop nation-wide standards and best practices.
- Other duties as assigned by the State Data Manager.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Experience volunteering or working for a political campaign, nonprofit organization, labor union, or community organization.
- Base knowledge of how to read and understand voter, demographic, and other data sets
- A willingness and aptitude to seek out and learn new technical skills that will further the mission of the table and assist in presenting data to partners in an accessible manner.
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to communicate technical subjects to non-technical audiences.
- Experience working in coalition with partners, or experience working in diverse communities, particularly in communities of color.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity and record of success working with communities of color, women, low-income people, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically marginalized communities.
Desired Qualifications: No one candidate is expected to possess all of these skills and experiences and we encourage you to apply even if none of what is listed below describes you. However, if you do have one or more of these skills, please note them in your resume or cover letter.
- Experience with the VAN (Voter Activation Network)/VoteBuilder or other civic engagement platforms.
- Knowledge of SQL, python or R.
- Experience using GIS software.
- Experience leading trainings or developing training materials.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
- Background in 501c3 work.
- Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: [email protected].
- To ensure your submission is properly routed, your subject line should be: “Montana Voices Data Associate Position”
- Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled; however, preference will be given to resumes received by September 4th, 2020.
- No calls please.
Compensation: Compensation is $40,000 – $50,000 and includes a full benefits package. Benefits for eligible Montana Voices employees include but are not limited to: health insurance benefits, 401(k) savings plan with employer match, paid vacation, leave, sick, and parental leave.
Terms of Employment: Position ends December 31st, 2020 with the possibility of extension if funding allows.
Location: Ideally based in Montana, but can work remotely for the 2020 Election Cycle.
Montana Voices is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.