ProGeorgia is a bold, trusted, and diverse collaborative that champions an equitable and inclusive democracy, for and with traditionally underrepresented communities. ProGeorgia supports and coordinates the civic engagement programs of our diverse partner organizations. ProGeorgia develops the infrastructure, executes the joint strategies, and employs new tools and technology to assure a government that is more responsive to the needs of our constituencies.
At ProGeorgia we believe that every citizen should be able to vote without undue obstacles, roadblocks, restrictions, confusion, or intimidation and that
- Our democracy is stronger when all people participate
- Our government has a responsibility to work for all of its citizens
- We, as members of the progressive community, are stronger when we work together
ProGeorgia is seeking an accountable, passionate, goal-oriented visionary to serve in a critical new role as Development Director after raising significant resources through statewide voter engagement for high-profile national and statewide elections. The Development Director will bring a record of success developing relationships, particularly with philanthropic/institutional funders, that generate revenue for mission-based organizations or initiatives as well as experience developing employees and effective development strategies. This position reports to the Executive Director and will build and lead a small team of professional staff and consultants ensuring development-related work plans and goals are aligned with the mission, values, and strategic direction of the organization and, ultimately, fulfilled. The ideal Development Director will be a highly organized, analytical, strategic, and flexible partner to the Executive Director and team ensuring timelines are developed and met and committing to respectful, productive engagement with a diverse set of stakeholders. The Development Director will also be a committed, innovative leader with an understanding of and respect for grassroots organizing and participatory democracy who can inspire others, find common points of interest, and motivate partnership and investment in ProGeorgia’s mission and initiatives. This position will be a part of ProGeorgia’s leadership team, and they will be charged with the following responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a strategy for the stability and steady growth of the organization’s budget over the next 3 years, to include annual development plans.
- Develop realistic stretch fundraising goals and targets; implement related work plans; monitor progress; provide updates; and adapt strategies as needed to ensure success.
- Support the Executive Director in work with foundations including providing context, coaching, data, and insight as well as determining how and when to strategically leverage the Executive Director in foundation relations.
- Manage and utilize data from supportive technology and train the team, as needed, on effective database management and reporting.
- Lead the search and selection of a Grants Associate, determine their responsibilities, and serve as their supervisor.
- Select, manage, and assess consulting partners as needed.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and finance team to keep the organization’s budget current at all times, reflecting all received funding.
- Develop and implement systems and policies for grants management.
- Develop and implement a system for managing proposals to prospective funders.
- Manage and strengthen relationships with current funders.
- Develop and implement a system for managing funder relationships.
- Research and cultivate relationships with prospective funders.
The ideal candidate for Development Director will possess many of the experiences and qualifications described below but need not possess them all to be considered:
- 5 + years of fundraising experience leading development and/or grantmaking efforts preferably within nonprofit, philanthropic, or civic settings focused on civic engagement, community organizing, campaigns, and/or similar aims and inclusive of philanthropic/institutional giving.
- Experience and/or aptitude to set and obtain annual fundraising goals of $3M+ from a cultivated diverse pool of funders including institutional funders.
- Passionate about working for a progressive organization committed to the goals of the Table, including civic engagement and economic, social, and racial justice.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects from conception to completion with great attention to detail while minimizing complications, maximizing effectiveness, and keeping the team informed and engaged.
- Exceptional writing skills, both in terms of grammar and language use, with grant writing experience a plus.
- An ability to grasp ProGeorgia’s organizational narrative and incorporate it into grant applications.
- Strong organizational, relational, and management skills.
- Staff and/or consultant management experience.
- A good attitude and ability to work with and inspire multiple people with multiple points of view.
- Experience building and managing strong, positive relationships with stakeholders including underrepresented and/or diverse communities.
- Experience with database management, system development, or reporting and the ability to grasp new technology quickly.
- Grants management or other forms of administrative experience a plus.
- Demonstrated experience as an influential, flexible, and committed leader willing to occasionally work irregular hours as needed.
- Willingness and ability to travel regularly within Georgia and some national travel.
- Bachelor’s Degree or experience in excess of the minimum is required; Masters is a plus.
- To apply, email a cover letter, resume, brief writing sample, and list of three references (references will not be contacted without your advanced notice) to [email protected] by Friday, June 17, 2022.
- Use the subject line: Development Director. Please submit PDF or Microsoft Word files only, preferably with all materials in one combined file.
- Resume review begins immediately.
- Questions or Nominations? Email us at [email protected].
Location: The position is located in Atlanta, Georgia with the ability to work remotely with some required travel within the state. Open to candidates willing to relocate to Georgia. All staff are working remotely during the current COVID-19 crisis.
Reports to: Executive Director
Compensation: ProGeorgia will offer a competitive annual salary within the range of $100,000 – $150,000, commensurate with experience. ProGeorgia also offers comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; 401k and company matching; and generous holiday, vacation, and leave benefits.
About the Process: ProGeorgia is partnering with Walker and Associates Consulting – a Black- and woman-owned equity-centered national strategic management consulting and search firm – to facilitate this search.
ProGeorgia State Table is an equal opportunity employer and having a diverse staff is a fundamental principle at ProGeorgia, where employment, development and promotion opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.