Michigan Voices was established in 2005 as the state-wide 501(c)(3) civic engagement collaborative table to educate, engage, activate, and protect underrepresented and marginalized communities. We seek to ensure full and equitable access to the democratic process. We champion a democracy where all Michiganders can and do participate in exercising their power to impact the decisions that shape our local, state, and federal government.
To achieve our ambitious goal, the Michigan Voices table coordinates a coalition of social justice organizations that work year-round to improve the quality of life for disenfranchised, unrepresented communities. Our table partners are progressive grassroots organizations that push for authentic, values-driven, and equity-based civic engagement within communities around the State of Michigan. We support creative ways to mobilize, empower and amplify the voices of BIPOC, low-income, youth, and LGBTQ+ communities.
Michigan Voices (MV) is searching for a full-time Development Manager (DM). This is a new position created to build a more intentional fundraising effort at MV. Under the direction of the Co-Executive Directors, the DM will support and execute all fundraising efforts at MV. Our ideal candidate would be based in Michigan, but the position is fully remote, and we will consider candidates outside of Michigan.
Grant Writing (30%)
- Responsible for full grant cycle across all institutional funding including drafting and submitting case statements, letters of inquiry, proposals, budgets, and reports.
- Oversee the production and filing of all donor-related material.
- Maintain the grants calendar and funder records to track meetings and internal and external deadlines.
- Meet established deadlines.
Compliance and Forecasting (20%)
- Monitor program progress on active grants.
- Ensure fidelity between external-facing proposal budgets and internal budgets used to manage grants.
- Prepare a budget to actual reports and narrative in collaboration with Executive Director (ED), program staff, and/or bookkeepers.
- Track contributions and open pledges to develop income projections and re-forecasts.
- Research to identify new prospects, including foundations, corporations, and individual donors for all program areas, including general operating support; oversee tracking of prospecting activity.
- Assist the Co-Executive Directors in developing engagement plans to cultivate prospects.
- Support outreach and maintain correspondence with key Foundation representatives.
- Coordinate meetings with appropriate MV program staff and foundation officers.
Reporting and Stewardship (20%)
- Track all grants in existing spreadsheets; and ensure that all reports, renewals, and other tasks are submitted in a timely and professional manner.
- Assist the Co-Executive Directors in developing engagement plans to cultivate and steward current donors.
Admin and Special projects (15%)
- Prep development reports for board meetings.
- Provide audit support and monthly reconciliations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication
- Comfortability interfacing with all stakeholders; partners, funders,
- Ability to work well under deadline
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize work and follow through on
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and think
- Previous experience in development, fundraising, and major gifts
- Deep alignment with and passion for MV’s vision, mission, and
- Strong organization skills and detail-oriented
- Experience with donor management or CRM software such as Every Action, NGP, Salsa, or Bloomerang.
- Experience with digital fundraising using social media and email programs is a big plus
- Please send your resume and a cover letter to: [email protected] with “Development Manager” referenced in the email subject.
- This job will be posted until it is filled.
- Preference will be given to resumes received by November 15, 2021.
Compensation: The salary for this position is $60,000 – $70,000. Michigan Voices offers a full medical, dental, vision, 401k, short & long-term disability, and life insurance compensation package. We also offer a reasonable time off policy with paid vacation, sick time, and a gender-neutral parental leave policy.
Terms of Employment: Full-time
A Note to BIPOC Candidates:
Studies have shown that women, non-binary folks, and People of Color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s okay. We would strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.