Montana Voices is a civic engagement project committed to ensuring that every Montanan is able to participate fully in our democracy. Our mission is to build a civically powerful statewide network of nonpartisan organizations that collaborate on civic access and voting rights, voter modernization, civic engagement and leadership development. Our mission is centered on engaging and empowering underrepresented communities, building sustainable power needed to eliminate barriers to civic participation, and guaranteeing that policy-making is guided by the public.
Montana Votes is a statewide network committed to ensuring that every Montanan is able to fully participate in our democracy. Montana Votes is a model for coordination among advocacy, community and grassroots organizations. We focus on strategically persuading and mobilizing voters through data-driven and evidence-based tactics to achieve electoral wins. Our mission is to recruit and elect public leaders to build the power needed to eliminate barriers to civic participation and guarantee that policy-making is guided by the public.
Data is one of the most important and powerful ways we support change in Montana. The Data Manager plays an important role in helping to set shared strategy among a wide set of organizations that sit at the Voices and Votes Tables. The Data Manager also provides training and support for partner organizations to take a data-driven approach to integrating voter contact tools into their organizing and voter outreach work.
The person in this position is responsible for using voter, demographic and other data to help inform partner programs as well as support groups to integrate data best practices to inform field organizing strategies. The Data Manager also informs the collective data planning process. The Data Manager will work alongside our existing Data Manager and at the direction of the Executive Director.
- Oversee VAN Administration for partner organizations and their consultants. This includes managing user and security settings; providing technical assistance; and monitoring the use of the system to ensure compliance with state and national policies.
- Identify outside data sources to supplement the data in VAN, such as voting history, polling locations, early voting sites, etc.
- Conducting timely and relevant analysis of data, and fielding specialized requests from partners about election data, Census data, etc. to assist them in taking a data-driven approach to their issue and advocacy work.
- Function as part of a national data team to build and maintain the shared state and national data infrastructure necessary to support partner program work. This includes, but is not limited to, required weekly data calls, required biweekly calls with respective Deputy Director of Data & Technology, required convening attendance, etc.
- Identify and champion opportunities to conduct tests and experiments; assist table staff and partners in facilitating and executing experiments.
- Develop quality control processes to ensure data integrity.
- Seek out new tools and applications to enhance the work of the table and partner organizations.
- Be actively engaged in, and provide input and feedback on, the annual state planning process.
- Develop and provide strategic guidance on grant proposals.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess a majority of the qualifications. Applicants who meet most of the qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Essential Qualifications – The ideal candidate must meet these qualifications:
- At least one year serving in a data role, or at least two previous cycles of field experience.
- Experience using VAN (Voter Activation Network)/VoteBuilder or other civic engagement platforms
- Base knowledge of how to read and understand voter, demographic, and other data sets and ability to communicate about that data to non-technical audiences.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive. Advanced proficiency in Excel or Google Sheets a plus.
- Experience managing relationships with vendors and partners.
- Ability to work well under pressure, while maintaining a high level of detail orientation and meeting deadlines.
- Experience manipulating large data sets.
- Experience drafting or providing feedback on field plans.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to translate technical instructions into easy-to-follow language for non-technical audiences.
- Must be able to work professionally and communicate effectively with staff at all levels of the organization as well as external contacts, constituents, and vendors.
- Willingness and aptitude to seek out and learn new technical skills that will further the mission of the table and assist in presenting data to partners in an accessible manner (e.g., SQL, advanced Excel/Google Sheet techniques, Python, R, etc.)
- Commitment to approaching the work in an inclusive and empathetic way.
- Desire to work in coalition with progressive organizations.
Desirable Qualifications – The ideal candidate should possess some of these qualifications:
- Background in 501c3 work
- Familiarity with other online electoral/advocacy tools and constituent relationship management tools.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity and record of success working with communities of color, women, low-income people, LGBTQPIA+ individuals, and other historically marginalized communities.
- Experience working with Indigenous people, communities, or tribal entities is a plus
- Experience working on budgets and/or grant proposals is a plus.
- Experience with or knowledge of data management, database administration, reporting and analysis, and/or digital organizing tools is a plus.
- Knowledge of software for mapping (ArcGIS, QGIS, etc.) and reporting (Periscope, Tableau, etc.) is a plus.
- Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Kristie Smith ([email protected]).
- To ensure your submission is properly routed, your subject line should be: “MT Voices Data Manager Position.”
- Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. However, preference will be given to resumes received by December 17th.
- No calls please.
Compensation: Compensation is $53,000 – 58,000 and includes a full benefits package.
Location: This is a full-time remote position based in Montana. Temporary out-of-state remote work is an option.
MT Voices & Votes is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.