State Voices is a national network – built from the states up – that helps grassroots organizations win civic engagement victories and build long-term political power. Since 2008, we’ve been employing the principles of collective impact, building the capacity of partners with data analysis and shared resources, and strengthening our democracy by amplifying the voices of marginalized communities.
State Voices sustains a dynamic ecosystem of 23 state tables and organizations in every state, comprising over 1,200 partner organizations. We provide the organizations in our network with the data, tools, and support they need to help create a healthy and thriving democracy through a racial equity lens. We advance this work through three national programs: Civic Engagement (voter education, registration and turnout, issue advocacy and constituency engagement), Civic Access (voting rights and election administration), and Civic Representation (census and redistricting).
It’s our collective duty to end the systemic, relentless disenfranchisement targeting Black, Indigenous, Latinx, AAPI, and all communities of color, young adults, LGBTQ people, women, low-income, and all oppressed people. That’s why State Voices works year-round to create a more accessible, inclusive, and representative democracy.
State Voices has an important and compelling story to tell – our history, our scope, and our goals for this year and beyond. Throughout 2020 and 2021, we spent time establishing our identity and voice to drive a comprehensive communications strategy. In order to continue strengthening, supporting, and building the network with financial and public support – all on behalf of the larger mission of building multi-racial power in the service of racial and gender equity – we’re seeking a storyteller who can help us connect with our audiences and create, amplify, and track our stories.
The ideal candidate is someone who is skilled at writing, has experience with media publications, and is excited to collaboratively build out a communications strategy that amplifies local, state, and national efforts towards a healthy democracy and political power.
- Help build a thriving communications staff community within our network of State Tables and Emerging States by participating in chats, office hours, and meetings with storytellers
- Track the growth of communications teams and external communications outreach of State Tables and Emerging States
- Track press and media stories for State Voices, State Tables, and Emerging States
- Manage and update our schedule for owned media, earned media, and paid media outreach in our editorial calendar
- Track and report on digital and traditional media performance analytics
- Work across departments to source stories for email, social media, blog, or press content
- Work with Digital Communications Manager on developing content for social media, email, and blogs
- Attend meetings with partners on behalf of the organization and provide communications support to coalition activities
- Review, edit and finalize public-facing documents from various departments within the organization
- Copy, edit and project-manage reports and whitepapers
The ideal candidate will possess many, if not all, of the following qualifications:
- 1-3 years of related experience
- Skilled at compelling and creative storytelling
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity and track record of success working with communities of color, women, low-income people, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically marginalized communities
- Experience working on voting rights, civic engagement and democracy issues is preferred
- Experience in communications, media, and/or issue advocacy
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills, in-person and remotely
- Strong attention to detail
- Highly collaborative work style, and can effectively manage a variety of key initiatives at the same time
- Relationship builder with the flexibility to “manage by influence.”
- Self-starter, able to work independently
- Adept at creating and implementing new initiatives
- Please use our application portal to submit your cover letter, resume, and references.
Reports To: Director of Communications
Compensation: The salary for this position is $55,000 to $70,000 and includes a full benefits package.
State Voices is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.